Wednesday 15 June 2011

Body Language

Here I felt the need to personally address an area of drawing I wanted to brush up upon. Body language! Something vital to storyboarding is the ability to communicate through the use of body gestures where sound and dialogue is absent. Because of this I wanted to create a mini project to work on the side that would strengthen this aspect of drawing for me.

In my previous year at university during the 'narrative' module, I developed a basic outline for a story inspired by the duelling banjo sequence from the film 'Deliverance'. Below was the original thumbnails and storyboard I created.












Ultimately I became inspired by a beautiful piece of animation from artist Michael Dudok De Wit called 'The Monk and the Fish'- A story of an infuriated Monk trying to catch the ever elusive fish. The entire story is expressed through the use of music, and how the body language throughout denotes the change in emotion and tension. It was of this that inspired me to attempt something similar, to storyboard and develop a crude animatic through the use of music and body language, further providing an exercise to prove certain aspects of my developed Principles for storyboarding.




A further influence is the Pixar short 'One Man Band' that centers around a similar theme.


No comments:

Post a Comment